Sunday, September 4, 2016

Nightcap 9/4/16- a major break is happening, thank you Joe Dante, KUBO, I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER, Cinearama trailers and Randi's links


THE BEST OF CINERAMA Trailer from Flicker Alley on Vimeo.

With coverage of the Portland Film Festival coming to a close and before the wave of the fall films and festivals hits us it’s time to pause and hit reset and take stock.

First for the next couple of weeks I’m going to be backing off the new releases. I have some films set to go, but for the moment there is going to be a drop off of new films. It’s not for lack of stuff being offered to Unseen, rather it’s simply there are other things in the mix, live shows, concerts and other things and a bunch of the stuff being offered is less than thrilling - I'm tired of seeing weak or out right crappy films (There have been some real stinko horror films I won't mention)...

…and on top of it I need a break. Too much has been thrown my way, at Unseen, in life and the day job and I’m not doing as well as I should be. So when something happened this week which brought home the point I decided that I need to take a serious break from something, and the one thing I can step away from is Unseen and all of the things connected to it.  Basically I'll be scarce for the next few weeks from Unseen and related social media. While Unseen is set to run on its own until December  I will be dropping in reviews, interviews and festival coverage but things are going to be running on their own, probably into to the new year.

Regarding NYFF, yes we will be covering from the trenches and the press pits. Because of the way things have laid out, there are some complications with the day job so I’m not sure how the coverage is going to go. All I can say is that there will be coverage- I can't say how much. To help with our coverage I’m roping in people so watch out.
--
From the I think this is so cool- say what you will good or bad concerning Joe Dante’s LOONEY TUNES BACK IN ACTION- it is the gateway for some people into the Warners cartoons. My six year old niece is now memorizing the cartons because of the film which delights me to no end.

Thank You Joe Dante for making Avery a Looney Tunes fan
--
I saw KUBO AND THE TWO STRINGS. I completely understand why some people have gone crazy for it.

I on the other hand was less thrilled. While I do like the film I am not a fan of the story construction with it seeming to want to be like, say a Neil Gaiman story, instead of it's own story. Its following a template and not its soul.

Still it has some wonderful bits- though why have George Takei  if he has only three throw away lines one of which is is signature "Oh my"?
--
I saw I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER. and was completely surprised about how it went. I had no real idea of the plot going in so I was completely unaware of where it went.

Based on a YA novel the film starts in one direction then changes and changes again. What its really  about completely surprised me and less said the better. Just see it

I will say that despite being based on a YA novel it can be graphic such as in showing the embalming process (the hero lives in a funeral home)
--
Randi's Links

True Movies Lie to You
Scary Commercials and even more
Music Mysteries
VOYAGE TO THE PLANET OF PREHISTORIC WOMEN
Anderson Rabin and Wakeman talk their tour and album
Paley Center 50 years of Star Trek
Cool bridges around the world



CINERAMA'S RUSSIAN ADVENTURE Trailer from Flicker Alley on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment