Friday, December 4, 2015

In Brief TRADING GERMANS (2014) Making Waves: New Romanian Cinema

TRADING GERMANS
Completely out there, but true story of how the Romanian communist government sold 246,000 ethnic Germans to Germany for cash.

If you think HBO only makes a great documentaries in America, you'd be wrong. This great little film is prime example of the great work HBO is doing across the globe.

I'm going to keep this piece short, not because I have nothing to say, rather because this is the sort of seemingly crazy story you're going to want to see and experience for yourself. (And besides I spent all day trying to explain what happened to people in my office and they just stared at me like I was nuts)

What I like about the film is that it isn't just about the transfer of people, but it explains why it happened, how it happened and most importantly what happened afterward, particularly how it affected the people involved. It raises an interesting question about hat is one's homeland.

This is a super film and it's a prime example of the wonderful things you can find at film festivals.

The film plays Monday at Lincoln Center and is a must see. (tickets an more information can be had here.

No comments:

Post a Comment