Sunday, May 19, 2013

Nightcap 5/19/13- random talking out of my hat

The decompression of the first part of the year is continuing nicely. I have not been running around like a chicken with my head cut off and I’ve actually been working to get Unseen Films in order without needing to take Zantac. I’m not buried with extra films to review in a short time, though I do have coverage of films from The Brooklyn Film Festival in the cue as well as some from Lincoln Center’s Open Roads Italian Film series and some yet to be released titles all coming.

The big craziness around Unseen Films has been the appearances of Jackie Chan in New York. Chan’s appearances were supposed to be part this year’s New York Asian Film Festival which was giving him the Star Asia Award, but scheduling forced the appearances to happen on June 10th and 11th. Once tickets went on sale there was a mad dash to get them as everyone slammed the Film Linc and Asia Society websites. I’ve gotten tickets, as has Mr C for both appearances. I’m still not sure who is going to what beyond that since there has been lots of screaming and yelling and rending of clothes by those without tickets. What I am sure is that Unseen will have a presence at both screenings as well as the English Language Press Conference (and if I can twist an arm the Chinese one as well) that will be happening in connection with Jackie’s appearances.

I do want to say that there is a good chance come say August or September we may run out of reviews. Right now I have things scheduled into August, but at the same time I'm kind of stalled. Most of the reviewable films I'm seeing are for a series or a festival and fit into neatly constructed holes in the schedule. However outside of those films I am not seeing many films that I feel the need to write up, and much worse the ones on my very long list list of titles to write up when I get a minute hasn't been inspiring me. It may not happen, but there is a chance at about the 3 and a half year mark Unseen Films might actually miss a day or two.

On the other hand over the next couple of weeks I'm hoping to get some longer pieces and essays pulled together. With the crush of the first part of the year done I'm hoping to finally transcribe the Roger Ebert piece, return to found footage films,pull out the piece on that stupid ass anti-Muslim film that no has ever really seen and caused some riots, write on some subjects that have been kicking around the film world and a few other things. I'm also talking to a couple of Unseen writers about what Randi has dubbed the Unseen Book Club. We'll see where it all leads.

Speaking of books and Little Nemo, panels of which I've been using for the nightcap illustrations- I finally read the Ray Bradbury screenplay for a Little Nemo film. While its gets certain things right, the feel for the early part of the 20th century when the film is set, it misses the point in every other way. Setting up an elaborate way into Slumberland (which Nemo creates with the help of a twin named Omen) the film is more like a way too simplistic children's film  for way too simplistic children. As unbelievable it is to think that Bradbury wrote it, it's completely understandable as to why it was never produced, it's not very good.

Right now anyone can post a comment at Unseen but all comments are moderated. This has lead to a problem of spam comments. To be certain some of them are amusing as all get out, but at the same time they are annoying the hell out of me withe the result that I find I'm just dumping the anonymous comments without looking them over. If you've posted something anonymously and it hasn't posted I apologize. Its the spammers fault. I'm seriously considering shutting off anonymous commenting, but not yet. We still do get some comments that way so I feel its a shame to ban  them all. Just to be safe if you want your comment to count sign in before you post.

I would like to state that I am finally starting to catch up with all of the various posts and reviews of my friends and acquaintances across the Internet. I know I have been lax, I haven't been reading every one's blogs as I should.To be honest I'm only just getting around to reading many peoples Tribeca coverage partly because of lack of time, and partly because I just wanted never to see another word on the festival again...that feeling is gone and I'm at last going back and reading...so expect possible comments.

I think thats it for now.  Off to bed...

This weeks selections are best described as provocative with films from both the art house and grindhouse that are guaranteed to push your buttons.

No comments:

Post a Comment