Friday, June 22, 2012

Unseen begins NYAFF coverage with Love in the Buff (2012)



This is the official start of Unseen’s coverage of the 2012 NYAFF. I know it doesn’t start for a week but there are so many films we feel its necessary to start things off early. So from now until the festival ends we’ll be doing almost daily posts of reviews and reports from the road. You’ll be getting reviews and reports on all but perhaps four films, plus interviews, and assorted goodies.

In a weird way we started things ages ago when we reviewed Boxers’s Omen and War of the Arrows. These two films are amazing and highly recommended. I should point out that both films are only getting a single screening next Friday so if you want to see them on the big screen, and I suggest you do so, get your tickets now. Our take on the films can be found by clicking the films titles.

I also want to mention that I have taken in Love in the Buff. This is the sequel to Love in a Puff which had two people meeting and falling in love, only to find they make each other crazy despite being mad about each other. Or so I’m told. I never saw Love in a Puff so I have no idea what went before…

…a fact that kind of worked against my completely enjoying Love in the Buff. Yes, everything about this film, which follows the pair as they spend time away from each other, while finding they have to be connected, is top notch. Its funny, charming, moving and it has a first rate cast you connect to. The trouble is I felt like I was missing all the back story.

Definitely worth seeing if you’ve seen the first film. If you hven't its still worth a shot.

---
A word about the next couple of days: Tomorrow and Sunday I’m going run reviews of five films (10+10,Nasi Lemak 2.0,Couples, Honey Pupu and Failan) that you probably haven’t considered going to but you should. These five films are hidden treasures of the NYAFF and are likely not to be heavily attended though they should be. All are solid films that really should be seen by as many people as possible.

My regular Sunday Nightcap piece is going to be our lists of films we are looking forward to seeing. I've asked everyone to chip in so come back to see what they have to say.

After that there’ll be at least three films a day until next weekend when the festival starts and reports from Lincoln Center and The Japan Society mix with the last of out pre-festival reviews.

Keep reading because over the next tree weeks we’re going to be ground zero for the NYAFF with reports on all but 4 of the films plus (hopefully) a few interviews and some other good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment