Sunday, September 4, 2011

4 Musketeers (1974)



The second half of the the 3 Musketeers was rightly cut off from the first film (see yesterday) since the tone of the film is very different than the first.

After saving the Queen by returning the diamond studs, things are somewhat going along swimmingly. The trouble is that all of the baddies from the first film want revenge, particularly the Milady de Winter. She wants revenge so badly that she will set in motion some dark schemes that will leave a good number of people dead, and which will reawaken some dark secrets in Athos who knows from experience what the villainess is capable of.

The cast is the same as the first time out, since the two films were shot as one and then cut in half later on. This allows for the film to operate on the same high level as before.

Don't let the dark tone of the film turn you off this is the way the book goes. And while many versions of the film have down played what happened or removed it entirely, this film dwells in the darkness full on which makes the final victories all the more bittersweet.

I love this film. Actually I love both this and it's earlier part. They are just grand adventure done right.

I will freely admit that part of my love of this film comes from my mom. Mom loved the Three Musketeers so much that when this film premiered on HBO decades ago we were banned from going into the living room until she got to see the film once with out interruptions. She got her viewing and we got company every time (and I do mean every time) it played after that. So ye, on some level I feel I'm spending time with my mom when I see this film. (You can feel free to feel that way if you like but you don't have to)

This is one of the best swashbuckling films ever made and a must see for anyone who likes high adventure and grand romance.

Out on DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment