Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Take Off (2009)


I saw this back in January but I'm only getting around to writing the film up. Blame me and my being lazy about finishing up some long started posts and my not having a slot for it until now.

This is the story of the Korean ski jump team. They are five guys brought together because the organizers of the Seoul Olympics wanted another shot by hosting the games , though this time they were going for the Winter Olympics. The problem is that the Koreans have a reputation for not liking winter sports. So they brought together five guys, well four and one's brother who is just hanging around to be the team. As the town builds the ski jump, the team trains as best they can, using a variety of methods including a water slide. There are complications such as the coach's high maintenance daughter, a lack of proper facilities, family issues and some hidden agendas. How it plays out is the film.

I'm going to be completely honest and say that what happens is not what you expect. This doesn't mean you should go out and look up the story, rather it means that you should make some effort to try and track this film down and expect to be surprised. This film doesn't go where you think it will, nor is it about what you think it should be about. I would explain that in more detail except that to do so might give something away. I don't want to say too much since one of the joys of the film is how it raises your expectations and then messes with them.

This isn't to say that the film isn't funny and charming and uplifting; it is but not for the reasons you think it is. This film will bring a tear to your eyes whether you want it too or not. (Me and the two old ladies sitting in the back of the Tribeca Cinemas were exchanging tissues at the end.)
I really liked this film a great deal.

As I said back when I wrote up the screening in January, I came home and tried to find it on DVD. I found it ,I bought and I treasure it.

Is it the best film in the world? No, but it is a great deal of fun to watch.

Keep an eye out for it or track down a copy from Yes Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment