Thursday, January 13, 2011

Jungle Cavalcade (1941)


One of the documentaries about animal collector Frank Buck, who's "bring 'em back alive" motto is still well known. This film really surprised me since I was not really prepared for it to be such a great little film.

This is a neat little film about Buck going off into the jungle and capturing snakes and tigers and monkeys and other things. Its a film that more or less takes you from the journey into the jungle through the setting up of non-lethal traps, through the process of collecting onward and includes comments about where the animals actually ended up. Its a super film that really shows us how things were done back in the 30's and 40's while it also shows us some really incredible images of animals in the wild (The snake/big cat fight is great).

If you love Animal Planet and Discovery Channel see this film because it will easily prove to you that you haven't seen everything.

A magnificent film that is really one of my finds of the year.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I stumbled across this gem while channel surfing one morning as I waited to drift back to sleep.......problem was, I COULD NOT STOP WATCHING. Story well told, narrated, edited and musically orchestrated. Great film. Terrific job capturing and telling a story in a very nostalgic black and white sorta of way.

    Bobbyfever72@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete