Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Lady in Black (1987)


Talk about soap opera.

Man has his wife embezzle millions for his business and gambling debts. When a trip to see his uncle to get money to pay it all back goes badly they return home via a ferry and in an accident she falls overboard. The husband continues on with his "winning ways" as complication follows complication as his misdeeds and those of his wife begin to turn up. People die and others come back from the past. Grand tragedy becomes comedic as the twists become pretzel like and then some.

I've rarely seen anything like this. I've seen thousands of films in my time and few films can equal the craziness of the the plotting in this film which has pretty much everything including the kitchen sink.

Believe me you simply can't take your eyes off the screen, even as you begin laughing at the film because you won't believe where its going. No hyperbole here, some late in the game twists will have you throwing up your hands as you double over in laughter. Its a decade of TV soap opera plots crammed into 90 minutes.

Unbelievable and unbelievably silly-and yet you will have to watch it all the way to the end.

I picked this up on VCD for a dollar in Chinatown and was so shocked and horrified and entertained that I went and bought a copy of the film on DVD so that I can inflict it on people more easily.

By any rational standards this film should not be entertaining, and yet, somehow it is.

Its worth your time if you can find a copy. I don't think you really should pay a great deal for it, no more than a fiver, but I think if you're in the mood for some unintentional silliness you'll have a great time. (I make no promise about repeat viewings but that first time should be a hoot)

No comments:

Post a Comment