Friday, May 21, 2010

Deadly Nightshade (1953)


I stumbled upon this wonderful small scale film. Its a marvelous compact little thriller that I picked up from a dealer at a nostalgia show. I knew nothing about it going in, with the result it was a nice surprise coming out. I've seen this film several times since I picked it up and I've really enjoyed it each time.

An artist in England finds himself mistaken for an escaped convict and arrested. He's freed thanks to a police inspector friend. However things go in a different direction as the convict shows up and ends up in his place just as a series of events transpire to complicate things.

This is the sort thriller that begins and then never stops for its entire running time, and since it runs about an hour flat there's a great deal to cram in. As things go its complication and twist followed by more complications followed by... you get the idea. The film handles all of the complications with an ease that is most impressive. I would love to talk about where this film goes but I think its best to just see it since it a great ride.

I really liked this film a great deal. Its a small gem of a movie that's more satisfying than many bigger films. For the most part it all works.

This is one to look out for.

No comments:

Post a Comment