Sunday, May 9, 2010

13 Lead Soldiers (1948)

Tom Conway stars in the second of two outings as Hugh "Bulldog" Drummond, the first being yesterdays film The Challenge.

Here he's brought into the case of the murder of the owner of two antique lead soldiers. Someone who has similar soldiers is frightened he maybe next and he calls in Drummond to help. Along the way Drummond switches places with Algy and more people turn up dead. Its a typical outing for the captain.

Good but not great film some how doesn't completely work. I'm not sure why. Perhaps its meandering script which seems to wander all over the place a bit too much. Certainly its all to do with the plot but it doesn't always feel that way.

I did enjoy it and I will watch it again, since any time with Tom Conway in a mystery is time well spent, but at the same time I think this is probably a lesser Drummond film. Thought to be perfectly honest the final sequences still rather hang with me, which is more than I can say about some of the John Howard films which are good because of the characters but not because of the plots.

My lack of unconditional love shouldn't put you off since it is still a good mystery. After all I really wouldn't bother to write up the film if it wasn't worth the time.

Definitely worth a look, preferably with a second Drummond film.

No comments:

Post a Comment